Re: [Devel] truetype loader crashes in current CVS version

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] truetype loader crashes in current CVS version
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:38:54 +0200 (CEST)

> > Sven, I made an entry in the CVS log for the changed file, and
> > even credited you ;-) I didn't realise there was some other log as
> > well. Seems like duplication... and it's been a busy, busy
> > day. But I shall look for the change log and see if I can put an
> > entry there as well.
>
> Well, Graham, the idea is that for every change you commit, you are
> supposed to write a little explanation for CVS, right? So what we
> are supposed to do is to format this change is a more or less
> uniform way, and as soon as you commit something through CVS, you
> add the same comment to ./ChangeLog, and you update it to CVS.  This
> makes the job of the other people that monitor the development (like
> David and Werner, but perhaps others) much easier. It also eases
> *a*lot* when there is a regression problem with an older version.

Usually, I walk through all code, improving/fixing the ChangeLog
entries (in most cases they are not detailed enough or don't follow
the standard).  Maybe I'm paranoid, but, as Antoined said, the
benefits are *extremely* helpful to find troubles with older code.  In
Emacs, Stallman is going even farther: He insists that a single
ChangeLog entry corresponds to a single CVS change and vice versa so
that you can really check up the exact diffs.