Re: [Devel] CFF fonts assume Type 2 charstrings

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] CFF fonts assume Type 2 charstrings
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:42:45 -0400

On 2002/08/08 at 23:04, Graham Asher <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tom Kacvinsky said:
>
> <<<<<<
> Have you ever seen a CFF font which uses anything but Type 2 char strings?
> >>>>>>

> No - I have hardly ever seen any Type 2 fonts.

A good place to look is at CFF fonts in PDF files made by Acrobat Distiller.
They use Type 2 charstrings.  Another good example of CFF fonts with Type 2
charstrings are those in the 'CFF ' tables of OpenType fonts built by Adobe's
FDK, which can be from Adobe for free.  In fact, they released version 1.5
not too long ago, and it works with Python 2.x.

Just, isn't *that* nice?

> <<<<<<
> As far as I know, no tool out there makes CFF fonts with non-"Type 2"
> charstrings, so this is a non-issue, despite what Adobe's docs say.
> >>>>>>

> In that case this fact should be documented by comments and backed up by
> an assertion or the return of an error code by the CFF driver.

Ah yep...

> <<<<<<
> You can always email the Adobe font folks if you do not believe me. :)
> >>>>>>

> You over-react, Tom. I merely asked a question.  I believe everything I read
> on the FreeType developer mailing list ;-) Thanks for the information. The
> Adobe font folks should perhaps be encouraged to correct their documentation.

Oh yeah, I over-react to just about everything. ;-)   I have in the past asked
the Adobe folks to correct the documentation, but no joy so far...

Regards,

Tom