Re: [Devel] Problems with FT_Get_Postscript_Name and TTF files?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problems with FT_Get_Postscript_Name and TTF files?
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:33:47 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Poulsen wrote:
You should be very careful with FT_Get_Postscript_Name invoked on TrueType fonts.
Some of them just do not have it :-)

Yes. :-)
Do not use TrueType fonts :-))

Firstly, thank you for your response.  It is greatly appreciated.

Fair enough -- my application is going to produce PostScript in the end
any way, and I was planning to use PS fonts, but I had a font dir that
contained both, when my app stumbled across this problem.

In a larger sense, though, shouldn't FT_Get_Postscript_Name just return
NULL if there is no name for a TTF font, rather than segfault?  Or is
this function still considered 'experimental' with TTF?

Of course, what you're describing is not a feature bug a critical bug
(as anything that makes the engine crash, by the way). I couldn't
reproduce the bug with the current CVS sources, nor understand easily
where it could come from.

Could you send me directly one offending font ? (work address preferred
for now).

Thanks in advance,

- David Turner