Re: [Devel] standalone ftgrays.c

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] standalone ftgrays.c
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:11:41 +0200

Hi Scott,

Scott Long wrote:
Also, how big should I make the memory pool when I call raster_reset? Is there a way to determine how much memory I will need for a particular outline?

I had made tests some very long time ago, and found that using a minimum
of 4 Kb was enough for all kinds of complicated outlines (with less, certain
truly complex glyphs cannot be rendered correctly)

Otherwise, the amount of memory given to the rasterizer only determines
the rendering speed. It will always be able to render the glyph, but will
render complex or very large ones more slowly if you give it less memory.

Just use a default value, like 16 Kb, and try to shrink or expand it to
see if it has a major impact on performance. You'll need lots of memory
only if you want to render very complex and very big glyphs quickly
(for example, a complex Chinese ideograph at a character size of
500 pixels :-)

Hope this helps,

- David Turner