[Devel] autohinter suggestions

From: David Chester
Subject: [Devel] autohinter suggestions
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:44:48 +0100 (MET)

David Turner, et al:

Thank you for integrating most of my patches into CVS.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on the ft-bluescale patch, where the
glyph is
scaled before hinting so that its top edge is already on a pixel boundary.
I noticed
that it was not put into CVS.  I realize that my implementation is not very
graceful.
Still, I think that it significantly improves glyph shapes in certain
cases--it helps
maintain the 'eye' of the lowercase e's, keeps the tops of lowercase a's
rounded
instead of squished, and helps to keep a consistent width-to-height ratio
from size to
size.

For reference, here's the page on my site showing examples with and without
this
patch applied:

http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/xfthack/bluescale.html

Again, thanks very much.