Re: [Devel] postscript fonts, freetype and mozilla, redhat's great fonts

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Devel] postscript fonts, freetype and mozilla, redhat's great fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:25:28 +0800

Hello Michael,

It will take some time to read up the related technologies and new
components, and they are already appearing in Debian sid, although not as
fine-tuned as the latest Red Hat 8 series.  Try Google or other paths to get
to the following resources:

        * FreeType resources.  You already know them.
        * fontconfig, Xft, Xft2, Keith Packard and his whitepapers
        * Pango, Owen Taylor
        * Qt 3.1.1 with Xft2 support
        * FreeType 2.1.3 with
        * XFree86's address@hidden mailing list and archive
        * debian-gtk-gnome mailing lists
        * Debian's mozilla-xft package, although currently very crash-prone,
          but if it works, it will be similar to what you see on RH8
        * Colin Watson, who packaged Xft and fontconfig for Debian
        * Red Hat 8.0 and 8.1 beta (phoebe)

Yep, read up!  It was mind-boggling for me at first, but I am finally
getting to know the basics.  :-)

As for Debian's FreeType package, I tried turning off the bytecode
interpreter once not too long ago, but immediately received a whole bunch of
bug reports.  Apparently, it was not ready then, so I turned it back on.

Nevertheless, some bug reporters have said they tried FreeType-2.1.3 with
David Chester's latest patches, and said that "bytecode interpreter off" +
"anti-aliasing" gave acceptable result on LCD, so yes, I may turn it off
again in the near future.  Nevertheless, feel free to experiment with the
freetype debian package 'cause I am a bit sluggish lately.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling