Re: [Devel] postscript fonts, freetype and mozilla, redhat's great fonts

From: Michael Cardenas
Subject: Re: [Devel] postscript fonts, freetype and mozilla, redhat's great fonts
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:32:11 -0800

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:25:28PM +0800, Anthony Fok wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> It will take some time to read up the related technologies and new
> components, and they are already appearing in Debian sid, although not as
> fine-tuned as the latest Red Hat 8 series.  Try Google or other paths to get
> to the following resources:

Great. Hopefully, I can help you to do that tuning!

>       * FreeType resources.  You already know them.
>       * fontconfig, Xft, Xft2, Keith Packard and his whitepapers
>       * Pango, Owen Taylor
>       * Qt 3.1.1 with Xft2 support
>       * FreeType 2.1.3 with
>       * XFree86's address@hidden mailing list and archive
>       * debian-gtk-gnome mailing lists
>       * Debian's mozilla-xft package, although currently very crash-prone,
>         but if it works, it will be similar to what you see on RH8
>       * Colin Watson, who packaged Xft and fontconfig for Debian
>       * Red Hat 8.0 and 8.1 beta (phoebe)

It is my understanding that fontconfig is a method for configuring
fonts in one place instead of many, and that Xft2 is simply a library
which transports the bitmaps from place to place within X. So,
shouldn't I be able to get the same quality of rasterization without
them?

> Yep, read up!  It was mind-boggling for me at first, but I am finally
> getting to know the basics.  :-)

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me, if the execs will let me
do it.

Thanks alot for the prompt and informative response!

michael

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

Listening to: Original Cast Recording - Angry Inch

"It is as hard to see one's self as to look backwards without turning around."
- Henry David Thoreau