[Devel] Line Gap / TrueType fonts

From: Robert Dolan
Subject: [Devel] Line Gap / TrueType fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:57:14 -0500

Hello,

Can someone tell me why height is adjusted in sfobjs.c when the horizontal
header table line gap is 0?

from sfobjs.c:

        /* if the line_gap is 0, we add an extra 15% to the text height --  */
        /* this computation is based on various versions of Times New Roman */
        if ( face->horizontal.Line_Gap == 0 )
          root->height = (FT_Short)( ( root->height * 115 + 50 ) / 100 );

Fonts with form drawing characters and some symbol fonts have a line gap of 0
by design.  Adding 15% to the height is causing problems for me when it comes
to supporting legacy code that relies on form characters.  Things seem to be
much better after removing the height adjustment.

Are there any pitfalls that await me if I push forward and take the horizontal
header line gap as is?

Rob Dolan