Re: [Devel] Windows API vs. FreeType API, how to make FT API faster

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Devel] Windows API vs. FreeType API, how to make FT API faster
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:01:10 +0200 (CEST)

Happy said:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I'm writing a program based on Freetype API, and I do a benchmark comparing to
> Windows API GetGlyphOutline, it seems that FT API is a little slower than
> WinAPI,
> following is a snippet to show the problem. On my machine, ther running
> result is :
>
> ft_duration = 700ms
> win_duration = 211ms

Hello,

  the win32 API must be using an internal glyph cache, to achieve a fair
comparison,
you should try to run your test on a font that your desktop does not use, upon a
fresh reboot (hence the windows glyph cache should not come in the way of your
bench). This way you should be able to compare the glyph extraction and
rendering
time of both APIs.

If you feel like it, you can also use the FreeType cache API, to compare
real-case
usage of the Windows and FreeType APIs. You can also have a look at the
'ftbench'
program in the ft2demos package for inspiration.