Re: [Devel] Windows API vs. FreeType API, how to make FT API faster

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Windows API vs. FreeType API, how to make FT API faster
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:21:45 +0200

Hello Happy,

Happy wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I'm writing a program based on Freetype API, and I do a benchmark
> comparing to Windows API GetGlyphOutline, it seems that FT API is a
> little slower than WinAPI, following is a snippet to show the problem.
> On my machine, ther running result is :
>
> ft_duration = 700ms
> win_duration = 211ms
>
> Anyone has a suggestion to make FT API faster?

Well, it depends on exactly what you're doing. First of all, are you
using the auto-hinter or the native bytecode interpreter ? The former
is significantly slower than the latter, but that is normal since it
has much more to do.

Also, don't forget that you'll need to use a glyph cache to get
acceptable performance if you really want to layout text efficiently.
You can use the cache sub-system that comes with FT2. Though it is
still in beta, it has been highly tuned and should get you very
respectible benchmarks, except if you only perform "one-shot" scanning
of font files, like in your small benchmark.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner