Re: [Devel] Possible regression?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Possible regression?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:37:58 +0200

Hell Rayiner,

Rayiner Hashem wrote:
Hello, this is Rayiner Hashem. I've been using FreeType 2.1.4 RC-2 for a while now, and recently switched to 2.1.4. In doing so, I noticed a degradation in italic font rendering. The difference can be seen at:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/font-compare.png

The top image is from FreeType 2.1.4 while the bottom image is from 2.1.4-RC2. Both are just the "stock" tarballs from the FreeType FTP site, with no changes before compiling. If you look at the images, you'll notice the following defects in 2.1.4-final's rendering.

1) On the 8-pt line, the 'p' in "pt"
2) On the 8-pt line, the "yp" in "FreeType"
3) On the 10-pt line, the 'p' in "pt"
4) On the 10-pt line, the "yp" in "FreeType"
5) On the 12-pt line, the 'p' in "pt"
6) On the 12-pt line, the word "rendered"

Besides that, in just general use, sites that use italic fonts extensively look much worse in terms of stroke weighting across lines.
It's not exactly a "regression". The improvement found in 2.1.4-RC2 was
removed from the final release because it didn't please a certain number
of people who complained on the list. Since it was experimental and we
wanted to freeze features to make a stable release, it has been moved
from the default rendering mode to the optional FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT
mode.

Note that I don't know how it's possible to tell fontconfig or Xft to
use this mode, or activate it globally in Gnome/KDE/YaddaYadda..

Later releases of the library might contain further improvements that
please all parties involved, but I won't make any promise here...

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.