Re: [Devel] Experimental grayscale native TrueType hinting support

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Experimental grayscale native TrueType hinting support
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:40:56 +0200

Hi Vadim,

Vadim Plessky wrote:
On Thursday 10 April 2003 17:29, David Turner wrote:
|  Hello,
|
|     Here's a small patch against the current FreeType 2 sources that
| "activates" gray-scale specific hinting within the TrueType bytecode
| interpreter. The changes can be summarized as:

[...]

David,

Does this mean that you gave up on PS Hinter and Autohinter?

Huh ? What makes you think that ? It has nothing to do with giving up
on the other hinters... !?

- David Turner

My opinion that we need to get PS Hinter working.
I can tell you that I frecently got laptop with Windows XP pro, with ClearType enabled. And many fonts which are terrible in Windows 2000/98, look like very nice in WinXP.
Including some PS/OpenType fonts.
Screenshots are available upon request ;-)

Could you send me the fonts privately. I do not have Windows XP, and I suspect
that these fonts are not the same than those shipped with Windows 2000/98

This means:  we can get good results with PS Hinter.
I don't think that we should give up on OpenType-AdobeCFF (Type2) and PS Type1 fonts.

No, we won't give up there..

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.