RE: [Devel] TrueType hinting

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] TrueType hinting
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:11:55 +0100

Werner said (4th June '03):

<<<<<<
I've made Graham's unpatented TrueType hinting the new default.

This is not a good idea. I see from the changelog for rev. 1.665 that
unpatented hinting is now used unconditionally:

<<<<<<
* include/freetype/config/ftoption.h: Define
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER,
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_COMPILE_UNPATENTED_HINTING, and
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING to make it the new
default.

The unpatented hinting system is worse than no hinting at all for some fonts
(like Microsoft Arial) because it constrains the projection and freedom
vectors to horizontal or vertical and distorts the glyphs in weird ways. We
should undefine TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING and allow users to
select it for fonts that it helps, like the Dynalab ones.

Best regards,

Graham Asher