Re: [Devel] TrueType hinting

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Devel] TrueType hinting
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:23:51 +0800

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:24:51AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I've made Graham's unpatented TrueType hinting the new default.

Hello Werner,

First of all, thank you for all your recent patches and fixes.  :-)

I have a question about TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING.
A few days ago, while preparing for CVS 2003-06-01 for Debian, I turned
on all three

        TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
        TT_CONFIG_OPTION_COMPILE_UNPATENTED_HINTING
        TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING

as you have done so in the CVS, but a test with ftview 24 Arial.ttf
(Microsoft's web core fonts) shows many distorted characters.  The
the very latest CVS 2003-06-04 (compiled on Debian sid with gcc-3.3
or gcc-2.95) also exhibits the same behaviour:

    http://foka.dnsalias.net/~foka/freetype/
        forced-unpatented-distorted-arial-freetype2-cvs20030604.png

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the expected behaviour of
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING?  What would happen if I
leave TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING undefined?  Would
FreeType reverts to autohinting or to patented hinting?

Many thanks!  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling