RE: [Devel] OpenType layout as a many-to-many CMAP

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] OpenType layout as a many-to-many CMAP
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:23:45 +0200

Hello,

To make things clear:

  - the plan is to write a stand-alone library, named "otlayout"
    whose purpose will be the loading, validation and processing
    of OpenType Layout tables. Having something separate should
    ease the testing and debugging of the library.

  - the "otlayout" library will have zero-dependency on FreeType 2.
    and will only accept in-memory images of the relevant tables.
    "fonts" will be abstracted through the usual means.

  - Additionnaly, FT2 will provide simple functions to extract
    these tables from a font, or even synthetize some automatically,
    plus an implementation of the "otlayout" font abstraction that
    will be "ready-to-use" by applications.

  - we may add special code in FT2 to handle GPOS-based kerning
    tables, but this will be completely independent

  - we lack time. aagh. but more on this later (I have some
    experimental code)

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.