Re: [Devel] severe problems with Legendum.otf

From: Rogier van Dalen
Subject: Re: [Devel] severe problems with Legendum.otf
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:24:31 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Van Dalen's Legendum.otf version 5.0 (I forgot the URL; the font is
GPLed) produces catastrophic results with the current CVS (unmodified)
if not using the autohinter but the native hinter, as tested with
ftview.  For example, the letter `T' becomes a triangle, and both `1'
and `I' are heavily distorted.  David, can you have a look at it?
I have to admit I didn't know I ever got to version 5.0... I think this should be 0.5?

Anyway, I sent a message to this list about this problem last year (<http://www.freetype.org/pipermail/devel/2002-September/008366.html>). The problem is the different interpretation of the MSIRP instruction. FreeType has an /* UNDOCUMENTED BEHAVIOUR */ part for twilight points which I can't reproduce at all using Windows 95 and 2000, if I remember correctly. I actually thought a patch that basically deleted that bit of code was around but it wasn't applied yet because David wasn't sure this wouldn't break other fonts. I suppose, however, that any font that would cause problems if the patch were to be applied would look equally bad on Windows machines. So maybe the (incorrect?) "undocumented behaviour" part for the MSIRP instruction were added by analogy with other instructions for which it does produce the correct behaviour.

Hope this helps,

Rogier