Re: [Devel] severe problems with Legendum.otf

From: Rogier van Dalen
Subject: Re: [Devel] severe problems with Legendum.otf
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:14:51 +0200

Hi,

- Does the same "incorrect" behaviour happens with FreeType 1
 (if not, something fuzzy happened when the code was ported to
 FT2)
I have no idea and I'm not currently able to test it, either.

- since you've written your own rasterizer, could you check the
 differences it has with the FreeType one(s) ? Also, does your
 code renders the MS Core Fonts perfectly ? (I suppose so, but
 who knows :-)
No, my code does not render all MS Fonts correctly. I have so far fixed one or two "undocumented" things with moving twilight points. However, I didn't want to copy the behaviour exactly as in FreeType since there might be mistakes in there. And I have not (yet) taken the time to fix all the problems.

By the way, I'd like to point the fact that the monochrome renderer
ignores the "drop-out" mode set by the glyph program(s) because
experience has shown that this was the only way to get correct
rendering of most well-hinted fonts. Again, this assumption may
be wrong, especially if we remove or change some of the "undocumented"
sections in the interpreter.
This is not a problem affecting Legendum, since it was made to be rendered in AA mode.

Seeing how complex this problem is, I wonder: have you ever produced dummy fonts with simple glyph programs to test the behaviour of specific instructions in isolation, and compared the output from Windows and FreeType? If not, I would volunteer to do this, since this would also improve my own rasteriser code if I find something useful. (It'd take a few weeks though.)

Regards,

Rogier