Re: [Devel] Passing style

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Passing style
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:18:30 +0100 (CET)

> I hope you don't mind me sending you an adjustment to the prior
> patch.  This patch replaces it, since that seemed the easy way to do
> this.

I've already applied your previous patch, but your new changes are
small fortunately.

> I've been looking at how to change Pango to make use of this change
> in Freetype, and it occurred to me that the job is easier if the
> parts of the new style can be space-delimited to allow parsing
> accordingly.  To accomodate that, any part must not also contain
> spaces.  The adjustment handles that, replacing spaces with dashes,
> e.g., so that "sans serif" will become "sans-serif" or "semi
> condensed" will become "semi-condensed".  The latter case actually
> occurs in a few stock X fonts, and the substitution matches Pango's
> keywords.

Thanks, I've applied it to the CVS.

> Otherwise, I also used only "Italic" here, instead of both "Oblique"
> and "Italic", as I mentioned in my previous message.

Here I disagree.  If possible I would like to stay with both `oblique'
and `italic' since unifying means a loss of information -- BTW, think
of TeX's Computer Modern Roman (cmr) font family which has both
oblique (cmsl) and italic (cmti) shapes.