[Devel] Some food for thought (Might be?)

From: Wily Yuen
Subject: [Devel] Some food for thought (Might be?)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:18:56 -0800 (PST)

I have been following Freetype devel list lately since the work on autohinter
started. As posted on mailing list before, akito and Firefly have made patches
change autohinter so that it works much better on CJK fonts. I also noticed
David
has suggested another version of hinter name as 'autofit' now available in CVS
directory /freetype2/src/autofit

I am not familiar with autohinting algorithm, but I noticed that recently
freedesktop.org has an article named "Open Source Desktop Technology Road Map",
by
Jim Gettys from HP Labs.

In particular from the "Font" section of that article:

http://freedesktop.org/~jg/roadmap.html#mozTocId308967

which has a few comments on font design and hinting. I don't know if autohinter
has
addressed his points but there's a link to John Hobby's research paper on
related
topic:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/hobby/pubs.html

Not sure if they are actually useful just in case to post here as a reminder.

BTW, how's the status of autofit currently? Is it usable yet?

Best Regards,
-Wily Yuen
Dec 8, 2003