RE: [Devel] Some food for thought (Might be?)

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Some food for thought (Might be?)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:33:02 +0100

Hello,

> I have been following Freetype devel list lately since the
> work on autohinter started. As posted on mailing list before, akito and
> Firefly
> have made patches to change autohinter so that it works much better on CJK
> fonts.
> I also noticed David has suggested another version of hinter name as
> 'autofit' now
> available in CVS directory /freetype2/src/autofit

Yes, this works is not finished, unfortunately, though it's getting close :-(

> I am not familiar with autohinting algorithm, but I noticed
> that recently freedesktop.org has an article named "Open Source Desktop
> Technology Road Map", by Jim Gettys from HP Labs.
>
> In particular from the "Font" section of that article:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/~jg/roadmap.html#mozTocId308967
>
> which has a few comments on font design and hinting. I don't
> know if autohinter has addressed his points but there's a link to John
> Hobby's
> research paper on related topic:
>
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/hobby/pubs.html
>
> Not sure if they are actually useful just in case to post
> here as a reminder.

Well, I've already discussed Hobby's paper, but here's a short
summary:

  - the algorithm cannot work very well in real-time for at
    least two reasons:

      * it needs to scan all glyphs in the font to extract
        meaningful metrics.

      * the computation require very high accuracy, are _very_
        slow

  - the output is not that good, and I don't see how you could
    adapt the algorithm to the anti-aliased case.

> BTW, how's the status of autofit currently? Is it usable yet?

Still in progress. I unfortunately lack the time to complete it
for the moment. You can however study the current code since it's
pretty close to what will be in the final release.

Regards,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.