Re: [Devel] wrong format *.dsp *.dsw

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] wrong format *.dsp *.dsw
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:24:31 +0100

Halo Kalle,

It looks like developpers do not read documentation, and while going the
winding way, they still want us to "fix" their mistakes.

Kalle Valle wrote:

> i was using freetype on Linux and now did try to port my whole stuff
> to windows using VC6. I spend more than 3 hours to find out why
> the files freetype.dsw and freetype.dsp did not work wiht my Compiler
version.

> The VC6 was telling me that the files where not generated by VC6.
> At the end i found the line are ending just with 0x0a instead of 0x0d0a.

This is a clear symptom that you did not download the .ZIP (normally
apropriate to Windows), but rather did use the .tar.gz. Furthermore, you did
not extract it with WinZip or a similar Windows-aware tool, but rather with
some tar extractor that did not took care of the line-endings.

As you now know, this is usually problemless (since compiling tools do
usually cooperate quite well with any line-endings), but they are cases
where it does matter. Among them are using CR-LF line ended shell files such
as ./configure with bash, and on the other hand there is Microsoft Visual
C++ that did not grok LF ended project files.

> Would be nice if you can fix this in future versions.

Well, in this case it looks like we have a "solution". It would be to tag
the VC project files with the binary attribute, and record them always with
CR-LF line ends.
The cost of this solution, beyond the duty to do it, is that we then loose
version evolution (since CVS do not "diff" the binary files, but rather
record any new version as a whole on top of the preceding). In this
particular case, I am not sure this is a big problem, since these files are
not actualized very often (in fact, the .DSW was not updated since the 2.0.4
release, 2 years and half ago...)

I did modify the documentation file index.html to make very clear it should
be extracted with CR-LF line endings.

Antoine