Re: [Devel] Supported Compression Algorithms.

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Supported Compression Algorithms.
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:50:44 -0800

Around 17 o'clock on Feb 26, address@hidden wrote:

> I thought the gzip or zlib code which is included in Freetype2
> could uncompress these files (but patent issues only prevents the
> use of LZW to compress files).

I recently looked at the documentation for that library and concluded that
it doesn't support 'compress' decompression, only 'gzip'.

I'm loathe to suggest that even more support for .pcf/.bdf font files be
included in FreeType -- I'm in the middle of migrating X to .ttf files
which will save considerable distribution space as well as eliminating
miles of really ugly code.

But, you could go steal the uncompress code from any recent BSD library
and glue it into FreeType.

-keith