Re: [Devel] Supported Compression Algorithms.

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: [Devel] Supported Compression Algorithms.
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:47:56 -0600

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 06:39:19PM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 04:23:19PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> >
> > Around 17 o'clock on Feb 26, Albert Chin wrote:
> >
> > > FreeBSD compress uses zopen(3) which is covered by the 4-clause BSD
> > > license, incompatible with the GPL.
> >
> > I've been led to believe that one of NetBSD or OpenBSD has a version under
> > the 3-clause license.
>
> NetBSD:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/compress/zopen.c?rev=1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> BTW, this is essentially the same as what ships with FreeBSD/OpenBSD.
> Did UCB change the license?

Ok, according to
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=22365:
  In 1997, the University of California, Berkeley issued a statement
  retroactively relicensing all code held under their copyright from a
  4-clause 'traditional' BSD license to a new 3-clause 'revised' BSD
  license, which removed the advertising clause. The license texts in
  the NetBSD CVS tree are misleading, as they still have the old version
  with 4 clauses. Per instructions from the Board of The NetBSD
  Foundation, I am submitting a set of patches which corrects this (by
  revising the license text, and splitting it in cases where UCB is not
  the only holder of Copyright listed in the license).

So, looks like we can use the version from NetBSD.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)