Re: [Devel] gnome browsers segfault

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: [Devel] gnome browsers segfault
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 05:56:55 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

> So far I've been using freetype 2.1.7 and everything was fine.
>
> Recently I've upgraded to 2.1.8. Since then all the Gecko-based browsers
> (Galeon 1.3.12, Epiphany 1.0.7, Mozilla 1.6 -- all compiled and used with
> Gnome 2.4.2 components) segfault when I try to visit
> http://www.uhulinux.hu/
>
> It's clearly related to freetype: downgrade to 2.1.7 and they are okay,
> upgrade back to 2.1.8 and they segfault again. I also tried current CVS,
> it also segfaults.
>
> I'm running X.Org 6.7.0 server, fontconfig 2.2.2.
>
> Please tell me what additional info is needed to track down this bug
> if you cannot reproduce it.
>

> Thx,
> Egmont

Please, read freetype2/docs/DEBUG: building 2.1.8 and 2.1.7 with
FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE
defined; and run a web browser with "export FT2_DEBUG=any:9".
Comparing the debug output of 2.1.8 and that of 2.1.7, I hope we can do
something.

Of course, gdb's backtrace is also good.
  FT2_DEBUG

    This   variable  is   only  used   when  FreeType   is   built  with
    FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE defined.  It contains a list of component level
    definitions, following this format:

       component1:level1 component2:level2 component3:level3 ...

    where "componentX" is the name of a tracing component, as defined in
    "fttrace.h",  but  without the  "trace_"  prefix.   "levelX" is  the
    corresponding level to use at runtime.

    "any"  is a  special  component  name that  will  be interpreted  as
    "any/all components".  For example, the following definitions

       set FT2_DEBUG=any:2 memory:5 io:4        (on Windows)
       export FT2_DEBUG="any:2 memory:5 io:4"   (on Linux with bash)

    both stipulate that  all components should have level  2, except for
    the memory  and io components  which will be  set to trace  levels 5
    and 4, respectively.

Masatake YAMATO