Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:43:09 +0100 (CET)

> Oh, it's the kerning again...

It's a completely different problem.  The applied kerning is
completely correct, and the result is still bad.  This is a font
design issue of Vera.ttf, and FreeType can't solve that problem.

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freetype-devel&m=108638813608900&w=2
>
> ... and again I feel like arguing that freetype needs to start
> providing full string rendering.  The image of the string is NOT a
> simple sequence of the glyph images.

Actually, it is.  Except kerning, there is *no* interaction between
glyph images.

> Freetype can deal with it intelligently, but the infrustructure is
> hidden away from developers for the sake of binary compatibility.

Given that today most kerning data is in GPOS tables, a higher-level
library is needed to interpret the layout context.

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108688318300001&r=1&w=2&n=7
>
> Thus, it is complicated and nobody will ever use it.

I've explicitly added a code example to the documention which shows
how to use lsb_delta and rsb_delta.  You might contribute code to,
say, either the Pango or the ICU project so that autohinted fonts get
proper handling.

> Freetype is stuck with bad kerning until the forementioned is taken
> care of even at the price of binary compatibility.

I don't understand what you are talking about!  Where is the
connection between binary compatibility and bad kerning?