Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:12:17 -0800 (PST)

> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freetype-devel&m=108638813608900&w=2
> >
> > ... and again I feel like arguing that freetype needs to start
> > providing full string rendering.  The image of the string is NOT a
> > simple sequence of the glyph images.
>
> Actually, it is.  Except kerning, there is *no* interaction between
> glyph images.

It is like saying "there is no interaction except when there is".
Hinting also introduces interaction. Two glyths need to be pushed
together or pushed apart depending on (rsb_delta + rsb_delta). If this
is not interaction that needs to be introduced than I don know what is.
So you right that there is no interaction currently, but there NEED be
one.

> > Freetype is stuck with bad kerning until the forementioned is taken
> > care of even at the price of binary compatibility.
>
> I don't understand what you are talking about!  Where is the
> connection between binary compatibility and bad kerning?

Until you break binary compatibility by introducing string rendering,
with rsb_delta + lsb_delta used as a visable default, ther will be
spacing issues with kerning and/or with hinting.