Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:58:05 -0800 (PST)

>> Advance for "R":         1423 font units
>> After hinting @12ppem:   8 pixels = 1365 font units
>> Difference:              58 font units
>> Corrected "Re" kerning: -92 + 58 = -34 font units (= -0.199 pixels)
>>
>> There are probably more intelligent methods, though.

Which of this numbers is rsb_delta? It all iteracts and plays together.

> This is an interesting idea.  What about the following reformulation:
> Get advance width and kerning in font units and add them, then convert
> it to device units and compare it with the advance width in the device
> space.  If the rounded difference is non-zero, apply it.

Soon you going to have all the bits and pieces for string rendering but
no actual string rendering interface. Oh well, poor freetype users will
have to read documentation.

Yes, I will help to program this when you agree to break the
compatibility.

Alexei