[ft-devel] Re: const problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: const problems
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:19:47 +0200 (CEST)

> As to 'const' problems, I understand that adding such a change into
> public parts of FT can break API compatibility.  But I also had a
> lot of problems when writing C++ wrapper around FreeType subsystems
> with original interfaces, without the 'const'.
>
> I would like to ask you, whether it is still possible to adopt my
> patches into FT-2.1.10 as a 'non-fundamental' change?

I have an idea: Let's introduce a macro `CONST' which is placed into
the public API header files where a `const' is missing currently.  By
default, this is defined as

  #ifndef CONST
  # define CONST
  #endif

for backwards compatibility, probably in ftconfig.h (note that there
is more than a single version of this file, depending on the platform)
or in ftoption.h.  As soon as a new major release of FreeType is out,
those `CONST' are converted to `const'.

What do you think?  Kirill, can you implement that?  We would also
need a small note in the docs/CHANGES file...