[ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Miroslaw Kwasniak
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:47:36 +0200

Hi,

I found a thread from december 2004 about this topic.
I think that all conclusions were wrong.

You can divide hair-line to subpixels ;) but it may be another story.
I think the general problem with kerning is a wrong interpretation of ttf font
by freetype!

My story begun with a hevy kerned (bad) font(see [1] at end) I've tried
install in latex. After small investigation I found that kernings generated
by ttf2tex/ttf2tfm are wrong. Earlier version of this font[2] has no
kernings. Both look similiar in fontforge but very different in pdflatex :(

Playing with Fontforge I saw a message that default EM-size for postscript
is 1000 where this font has 2048. This font saved as new TTF with EM 1000
gives proper results in pdflatex[3] - fragments labeled with F1/F3 are
written with gotykposzarpany1[2](old w/o kerning) and with problematic font
gotykposzarpany3[1].

I tried this bad font[1] with ftstring (FreeType 2.1.10) with the same
problem - see left-bottom window on screenshot[4]. O this image upper row
is with font transformed to EM1000, lower original with EM2048. Left side -
ftstring, right fontforge.

I can't provide transformed font - licence issues.

Mirek

PS. I'm not subscribed.

[1]
http://www.zind.ikem.pwr.wroc.pl/users/mirek/latex/gotyk1/gotykposzarpany3.zip