Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:51:55 +0200

[ Sorry Mirek if you received it twice. ]

On Thursday, June 23th, 2005 08:49 PM Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I really wonder whether this font displays correctly on MS Windows, or
> whether my conclusions are wrong...

Just providing food for thought here.

I just tried to display the font from the ...3.zip here (Windows 2000 sp4,
GDI32.dll is 5.0.2195.6945 dated 22/6/2004, 3:35:14), on a screen at 96 dpi
(usual Windows resolution).

The upper line is size 120, so clearly this is not the correct setup.
I guessed 96 as the matching size for the example provided, so the second
line (blue background) is at this size.

Clearly, the Windows (NT) version is much uglier (aliasing...), but at least
it seems to kern the way the author intended, or perhaps a little bit
entangled.

I did not investigate why and how it behaves this way. Neither did I switch
my screen to 120 dpi.

Antoine