[ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: Sean McBride
Subject: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:41:52 -0400

Hello,

This is my first post, so please be gentle. :)

I don't actually use freetype, except that I use vtk (<http://
www.vtk.org/>) which uses freetype.

I am writing here to report a 'bug' of sorts.  Basically, it seems the
freetype implementation on the Mac is somewhat antiquated. I receive the
following warnings about the use of deprecated functions:

ftmac.c:179: warning: 'FSpGetFInfo' is deprecated
ftmac.c:234: warning: 'PBGetFCBInfoSync' is deprecated
ftmac.c:264: warning: 'FSMakeFSSpec' is deprecated
ftmac.c:838: warning: 'FMCreateFontFamilyIterator' is deprecated
ftmac.c:848: warning: 'FMGetNextFontFamily' is deprecated
ftmac.c:858: warning: 'FMGetFontFamilyName' is deprecated
ftmac.c:859: warning: 'CopyPascalStringToC' is deprecated
ftmac.c:862: warning: 'FMCreateFontFamilyInstanceIterator' is deprecated
ftmac.c:873: warning: 'FMGetNextFontFamilyInstance' is deprecated
ftmac.c:898: warning: 'FMDisposeFontFamilyInstanceIterator' is deprecated
ftmac.c:902: warning: 'FMDisposeFontFamilyIterator' is deprecated
ftmac.c:906: warning: 'FMGetFontContainer' is deprecated

These functions have been officially deprecated as of Mac OS 10.4 Tiger,
but unofficially deprecated long ago.  The two main points are:
 - FSSpecs should be replaced with FSRefs
   - <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2078.html>
 - Font Manager calls should be replaced with ATS for Fonts.
   - <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/
ATS_Concepts/atsfonts_intro/chapter_1_section_1.html>
   - The main header is ATSFont.h, in ApplicationServices/ATS

Of course, this isn't a short term problem, and I am not in a position
to supply a patch, but I did want to bring this to your attention.

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden