Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 andi38

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 andi386
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:30:03 +0100

On Tuesday, December 6th, 2005 17:02Z, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> Currently, freetype i386 and x86-64 collide in the following files:
> /usr/bin/freetype-config
> /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h
>
> This makes installation of two freetype development kits impossible.
> Installing two development kits is desirable when the developer does
> plenty of cross-compiling to x86-64/i386, which is often the case on
> x86-64 machines.

BTW, this is not really cross-compiling. Real cross-compiling IMHO usually
involves having a cross-compiling target environment, different from the
host environment (usually selected as "higher priority" flags overriding the
normal ones).
In the case of freetype, it would mean having a dedicated directory for
ftconfig.h et alii appropriate to each target, and of course different from
/usr/include...
BTW, this works great in general (and almost always did)!

You are really seeking to have two separate freetype libraries (I assume in
/usr/lib for x86-32 and /usr/lib64 for x86-64) available simultaneously _by
default_, and perhaps select the correct ones according to flags such
as -m32 and -m64 for gcc..., that is, _not_ really doing something as
complex as setting up a complete cross-compiling environment.

> It would be very much desired that:
> 1. freetype-config would be recoded to detect its environment

Can you please elaborate on what do you mean by "your environment" here?

I am sorry if it seems ingenious. I am not currently running Linux, nor
GLib; as such I am not sure what is the current "official" process of
configuration of Freetype; if I am not a "normal" user of Freetype and as
such my remarks are irrelevant, please say so, I won't be sad.

Antoine