Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i3

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i386
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:13:37 +0900

Hi all,

Sorry for lated post.

About Solaris' management for arch-dep & arch-indep header files...

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:37:23 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > * How about header files?
>>
>> As far as I've seen, most system headers exist in one copy only, and
>> use preprocessor macros to detect which the architecture is; usually
>> via <sys/isa_defs.h>, which defines macros for most of the
>> interesting cases: [...]
>
>This is the solution I like most.  I don't know how difficult it is to
>achieve that...

I propose 2 step solution.
I'm not sure if there's freetype-2.1.11, but I don't want to
change the numbers of important header files until freetype-2.2,
not to bother binary packagers.

Step 1: Modify ftconfig.h to support both of 32 & 64bit archs
        by single file, for amd64, ppc64, sparc64 and s390x.
        At least, I will write autoconf patch to do that.
        Unfortunately, at present, I have no idea to fix this
        issue on other building systems: Jam, Win32 systems,
        Mac Xcode etc. I expect this issue is specific to a few
        Unix style systems.

Step 2: Separate arch-dependent part to another file.
        About the location of arch-dependent header, we should
        discuss more. I suppose Linux people want to move them
        from /XXX/include to /XXX/lib, but I'm not sure if
        it's right solution (I feel /usr/lib of Linux is
        now being hell-like blackhole).

I suspend MacOS porting work, and post quick fix of step1
within this week. I have a question to write step1 fix.
The configure script generates dual-platformed ftconfig.h,
but built library should be dual-platformed? For example,
on amd64 system, something like:
        $ env CFLAGS="-m32" ./configure
        $ make
        $ file ./objs/.libs/libfreetype.so.6.3.6
        ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1

./build/unix/ftconfig.h supports both of amd64 and i386
(no other platform) but the built library is only for i386.
Is it too ugly?

Regards,
mpsuzuki