[ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented hint

From: David Turner
Subject: [ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented hinter ?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:48:39 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to have the default build of FreeType "just work"
when it is fed with one of these tricky TrueType CJK fonts that cannot
be properly loaded without a bytecode interpreter.

The idea is that the "unpatented hinter" will be compiled in the default
build, though the auto-hinter will still be used to load the glyphs; that
is, *except* if the TrueType face loader determines that the font file
corresponds to one of the few well-known "trick" fonts.

Could anyone remind me what these fonts are, and where I could find them
for analysis and testing ? I believe that nearly all of them were designed
by DynaLabs, but I'm a bit unsure about that.

For the record, I found msgothic.ttf and gulim.ttc on the web which seem
to load just fine with the auto-hinter (and produce mediocre results with
the unpatented hinter anyway).

This would completely remove the need for the FT_PARAM_TAG_UNPATENTED_HINTING
parameter to FT_Open_Face which is currently required to load these fonts
anyway.

Regards,
- David Turner