Re: [ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented hinter ?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:33:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm currently trying to have the default build of FreeType "just
> work" when it is fed with one of these tricky TrueType CJK fonts
> that cannot be properly loaded without a bytecode interpreter.
>
> The idea is that the "unpatented hinter" will be compiled in the
> default build, though the auto-hinter will still be used to load the
> glyphs; that is, *except* if the TrueType face loader determines
> that the font file corresponds to one of the few well-known "trick"
> fonts.
>
> Could anyone remind me what these fonts are, and where I could find
> them for analysis and testing ? I believe that nearly all of them
> were designed by DynaLabs, but I'm a bit unsure about that.

mingli.ttf is one of them (*not* mingliu.ttc).  Antoine has a huge
collection of old fonts (which he sent me a long time ago and which I
can't find right now); maybe he has time to check the CJK fonts.

I no longer remember where I got this font.  AFAIK, it isn't
distributed any more.  IMHO, it is a fine piece of code: The complete
Big5 character set in just 2.8MByte.