Re: [ft-devel] LCD Filtering changes

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LCD Filtering changes
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:27:21 -0500

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 15:24 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > These are all cool stuff.  I just want to request that FreeType be
> > released more regularly.  Preferably, separate stable and devel
> > branches should be maintained.  There are lots of serious bugs fixed
> > in FreeType CVS that are not in any release, and lots of other
> > changes that are not stable enough for a release.  This makes
> > downstream maintenance of FreeType quite a tedious task compared to
> > other packages like the Gtk+ stack.
>
> We are aware of that, but most of the time it's just David and me who
> work on FreeType.  Right now David is changing jobs which in
> consequence means moving to a different continent.  I have other
> projects to maintain also, and answering email normally eats up most
> of the time I can afford to FreeType.
>
> With other words, we need helping hands.

Fully understood.  How about:

  - Getting 2.2.2 out sooner than later.

  - After that, let distro maintainer maintain a stable branch in
FreeType CVS.  This will include backports from HEAD mostly.

  - Make, or let distro maintainers make, stable releases 2.2.3,
2.2.4, ... out of the stable branch.

  - Next major release will be 2.3.0, or if you prefer cairo style,
2.4.0...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/