Re: [ft-devel] 64 bit build of freetype on Mac OS X, compiler warnings

From: Sean McBride
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] 64 bit build of freetype on Mac OS X, compiler warnings
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 11:20:17 -0500

On 2006-12-25 03:45, address@hidden said:

>>I would imagine these warnings would be seen on linux too,
>>has anyone built freetype in 64 bit on linux?
>
>I guess you've checked with "-Wshorten-64-to-32" that
>Apple added to their gcc4 diversion. The building on
>Linux/x86_64 with "-Wall" don't warn about implicit
>cast from 64bit long to 32bit int. Thus, most developers
>using Linux/x86_64 never seen the warning, I suppose.

Ahhhh.  I did not realise that "-Wshorten-64-to-32" was only in Apple's
gcc version.  I hope it gets moved into the real gcc too.

>The option "-Wconversion" of genuine gcc may detect similar
>casting issues, but it's too strict than Apple's option.
>I won't have enough time to work this issue until
>2007-01-15, sorry.

It's not an urgent issue, not to me anyway.  I just wanted to pass along
the warnings.  I suspect many of them are harmless, but some might be
serious.  Worth a look I think.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden