Re: [ft-devel] 2.2.2

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] 2.2.2
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:23:51 +0100

Hello Pavel,

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:50:52 +0300, "Pavel Volkovitskiy" <address@hidden> said:
> Hello!
>
> I've looked in docs/CHANGES.... i wonder if 2.2.2 is going to be
> released soon?

If you look at the ChangeLog, you'll see we've been doing a lot these
last couple days to prepare the release. I just updated docs/CHANGES
by the way :-)

Now, we need to check that compilation works well on a broad range
of platforms, that installation doesn't break a significant number of
Linux distributions, as well as decide wether to call the next release
2.2.2 or 2.3

Very frankly, I'd favor 2.3, given the vast improvements in auto-hinting,
the new LCD filtering features and the automatic unpatented hinter. What
do people on this list think about it.

Apart from that, I welcome the Bedhad's proposal to maintain the stable
branch, it's really that we don't have much time, and CVS is really,
really bad at decent branch management[1].

I really look forward doing more frequent releases. It seems the last one
was about 7 months ago, and some distributions didn't catch up yet.

Expect a releast tag in the CVS tonight or tomorrow. There, I said it !!

Best Regards,

- David Turner

[1] And yes, I tried git when working on Cairo, lost my work three times in a
    row; I'm a bit disgusted and won't try it again with FreeType until the
    developers fix the stupid interface, which apparently is very unlikely...

PS: And just to correct something that was written previously, I'm not planning
    relocating to a different country just yet, at least not until a relatively
    distant future.

    On the other hand, I do work for a new employer: a company that recently
    held its official pajama day right in the middle of winter, how smart !! ;-)