Re: [ft-devel] Suggested patch for the opentype validator

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Suggested patch for the opentype validator
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:01:57 +0200 (CEST)

> I believe there is a bug in the opentype validator.

Is it a bug?

> If I have a MarkToBase table with multiple mark classes and multiple
> bases, and where at least one base is missing an attachment site
> (anchor) for at least one mark class, then the validator will still
> attempt to validate the missing anchor. (and often fail if the bass
> array table doesn't look like an anchor.)
>
> I believe that valid->extra2 should be set to 1 in
> otv_MarkBasePos_validate. This will allow for a NULL anchor.

I believe you that this fix is necessary -- you certainly have a font
which exhibits this behaviour.  However, the fact that it is possible
to have NULL values in the `BaseRecord' table (similar to the
`ComponentRecord' table as used in GPOS Lookup Type 6) is not
documented in the OpenType specification 1.5.

Please report this to the OpenType list -- since the MS people are
working on the OpenType 1.6 specification it would be good to fix the
description of the `BaseRecord' table.

Applied to the CVS.