[ft-devel] FreeType now supports various dropout modes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] FreeType now supports various dropout modes
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:58:33 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

in the CVS, I've fixed and enabled support for various dropout modes
in the B&W rasterizer.  This means that there are two new flags

  FT_OUTLINE_SMART_DROPOUTS
  FT_OUTLINE_EXCLUDE_STUBS

(in addition to FT_OUTLINE_IGNORE_DROPOUTS which was without function
until now); the TT interpreter now passes those flags to the
rasterizer.

For some fonts, this *enormously* increases the quality of the B&W
rendering at very small pixel sizes (see the attached images which
gives the results of 2.3.6 and the current CVS).  It should also fix
the Cyrillic problem with micross.ttf.

Note, however, that there are still some problems (like the missing
bit in glyph `7' of verdana.ttf for some ppem values); hopefully, I
can fix that soon.

Please test!  And please report differences to the Windows rasterizer
(together with a proper image so that I can collect and analyze the
differences).

    Werner

PS: George, are there fixes necessary for FontForge too?  It seems
    that simply using a FreeType DLL from the CVS doesn't make
    FontForge display the right pixels during a hinting debugging
    session...