Re: [ft-devel] freetype-2.3.7 -- ftconfig.h for biarch systems

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype-2.3.7 -- ftconfig.h for biarch systems
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:31:36 +0200

On Thursday, July 10th, 2008, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Freetype effectively expects 8-bit char (I am not sure 9-bit chars
or 16-bit chars could work or not, but I believe nobody checks it
anyway).

This is not correct.  Some time ago a guy asked for support of 16-bit
chars, and support for it has been added (cf. FT_CHAR_BIT).

You are (of course) right, and I failed to remember it, my mistake.

Based on your feedback and Suzuki-san points, I guess I really should put myself up-to-date about _all_ this stuff, and revisit it from ground up. The good point is that I remember some (I hope most) of the events which drove things this or that way (like the "discoveries" that Suzuki-san did yesterday). The bad point of course is that I am lacking time, but I promise to spend time on this during this summer (this way I shall be forced to finally make working my Linux x86_64, which is waiting in the dark since... December '04 :-/). Since I am *not* fluent with Linux configuration mechanism, do not expect quick solutions, though.

To come back to the start of this thread, Werner answered to Peter that his purpose was addressed by issue #21250 (https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?21250). So I will restrict myself with that problem, since I fully understand what is the problem with Linux biarch (for the record, I am currently trying to build a similar toolchain for Windows' GCC). I am lost with potential issues (beyond what is reported on Savannah) with ppc's, Sparcs, or Macintoshes: I read the post from Suzuki-san to the autoconf list, which details (thank you) the problem on MacOSX, but for me it boils down exactly to the problem described by Peter: the installed headers should be target-agnostic.
Of course, please comment if (and where) I am wrong here.

I believe the autoconf way developped by Suzuki-san in the other thread is a complementary way (that I do not understand in details, but it looks promising); and it is tempting to try both ways: so we have better chances to finally end with good solutions.

Antoine