[ft-devel] conversion from cvs repository to git (Re: [freetype-devel] S

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] conversion from cvs repository to git (Re: [freetype-devel] Some public APIs using FT_Int/FT_UInt should be improved in future)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 02:25:21 +0900

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:34:25 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>Have you converted the whole FreeType CVS into arch?  I would like to
>switch the FreeType archive to git (which I know best, and which
>savannah.nongnu.org already provides), and in case you've already done
>a detailed, complete CVS->arch conversion, it should be much easier
>and with less work to convert from arch to git than from CVS to git.

I'm sorry, no, I've not experienced to convert whole of
CVS to git repository.

In my case, I setup a cron schedule that keeps the local
source trees of freetype2 & ft2demos updated by CVS to
savannah, and another schedule that commits them to arch
when any file creation/modification/removal is found.
# When I and Masatake Yamato discussed how to convert a
# content in remote CVS repository to local GNU arch on 2005,
# we could not find smart tools. There are brute force
# retrievals of all revisions from CVS, calculate the
# changesets, and commit them to GNU arch - the handling
# of branches and symbolic tag names were not matured.

It seems that current cvs2svn supports a conversion from
CVS to git (http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html), but
requires local file access to CVS repository. Is it possible
to have such access on savannah?

Regards,
mpsuzuki