Re: [ft-devel] porting Freetype

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] porting Freetype
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:39:38 +0900

Hi,

Some people use this mailing list to search something they
are looking for, but most of them don't post their search
results. Therefore, most subscribers know what is expected,
but don't know what is available :-)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:46:27 -0400
address@hidden wrote:

>I am considering porting Freetype to C# in order to run in a browser under
>Silverlight.  My application has to be completely in managed code, so I
>cannot make calls to a C/C++ library.  Has anyone attempted to port
>Freetype to C#?  Does anyone know of any issues that would make this
>impossible?

I've never played with C# nor Silverlight, so I cannot
give reliable comment. In 2007, Yves Goergen found a
FreeType for .NET environment:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2007-11/msg00038.html

It had moved to here:

http://www.pointscapestudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:isefreetype&catid=39:developer&Itemid=58

That's all I could find in mailing list archive.

BTW, I'm not sure why FreeType is required in Silverlight.
Silverlight cannot use system's native font framework?

Regards,
mpsuzuki