[ft-devel] problems with pitch value

From: a.mueller
Subject: [ft-devel] problems with pitch value
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:18:34 +0200

Hallo,

my name is Andreas Müller. I have begun to work for some days with the Freetype2. And I have some problems with the “pitch” value in the “FT_Bitmap”. In the documentation is written that “The pitch's absolute value is the number of bytes taken by one bitmap row, including padding” . Either I misunderstand what you mean with “padding” or Freetype2 doesn’t work correctly at me. In my test program, I load a glyph  and convert it to a bitmap. The pitch value has a value of “82” by resolution 128x128, but by a bitmap a row of pixels is extended to a (4-byte) boundary. In my opinion the value should be “84”.

My question: do I misunderstand  the definition of the pitch value or is it a missing compiler option or a bug ?

My system: Ubuntu 9.10, gnu make 3.81, Freetype 2.4.2, program written and compiled in Eclipse 3.51