Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 16:37:19 +0200 (CEST)

> Also, how easy might it be to implement an Option that
> auto-instructs only the Y-axis?

There's hinting along the y-axis *only*!

> One thing i'm noticing is that font file sizes almost double as a
> result of ttfautohint (10-20% more than manual hinting) [...]

Yes.  I think this is unavoidable to a large extent given how the
autohinter works: It doesn't treat single points but segments and
edges, and this additional indirection is responsible for the rather
large size.  I have at least one idea how I could slightly reduce the
amount of data, but it will always be larger than manual hinting.