Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:03:14 +0100

On 1 Jul 2011, at 15:37, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> Also, how easy might it be to implement an Option that
>> auto-instructs only the Y-axis?
>
> There's hinting along the y-axis *only*!

Ah!  Good job then ;)

>> One thing i'm noticing is that font file sizes almost double as a
>> result of ttfautohint (10-20% more than manual hinting) [...]
>
> Yes.  I think this is unavoidable to a large extent given how the
> autohinter works: It doesn't treat single points but segments and
> edges, and this additional indirection is responsible for the rather
> large size.  I have at least one idea how I could slightly reduce the
> amount of data, but it will always be larger than manual hinting.

Sure, it's not sooo much bigger than full on manual hinting, but anything to
trim it down is a bonus.
What i have noticed with ttfautohint is that often e.g. a regular weight of a
font will grow in size at a bigger % than the bold weight. So i'm thinking the
Regular is 'over-hinted', maybe. I should look at that closer.

many thanks

Vernon