Re: [ft-devel] `make devel' on Mac OS X

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] `make devel' on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:44:28 +0900

Hi,

Now I guess there could be some difference between
the file status returned by Mac OS X until 10.3 &
after 10.4.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:29:03 +0900
suzuki toshiya <address@hidden> wrote:

>Werner LEMBERG wrote (2011/10/31 3:01):
> >> # `make devel; make' does not work well on Mac OS X, I will try to
> >> fix.
> >
> > Interesting.  What's the problem?
>
>`make distclean ; make devel' finishes after doing nothing, as:
>
>make: Nothing to be done for `devel'

Until Mac OS X 10.3, /usr/bin/make is GNU make less than 3.80;
Mac OS X 10.3 bundles GNU make 3.79,
Mac OS X 10.4 bundles GNU make 3.80,
Mac OS X 10.5 bundles GNU make 3.81.

Thus, to build current FreeType2 on Mac OS X 10.3,
I have to build GNU make 3.80 (or later) by myself.
Using it, "make devel" works well. But even if using
GNU make 3.80 built for Mac OS X 10.3, "make devel"
does not work on Mac OS X 10.4 & 5.

Comparing the debug log of GNU make (obtained by
make -d devel), there is a difference between the
log obtained on Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4.

On Mac OS X 10.3, the logs around goad target is:

        Updating goal targets....
        Considering target file `devel'.
         File `devel' does not exist.
          Considering target file `setup'.
           File `setup' does not exist.
            Considering target file `std_setup'.
             File `std_setup' does not exist.
             Finished prerequisites of target file `std_setup'.
            Must remake target `std_setup'.

        Putting child 0x003163e0 (std_setup) PID 414 on the chain.

On Mac OS X 10.4 & later:

        Updating goal targets....
        Considering target file `devel'.
         Looking for an implicit rule for `devel'.
         Trying pattern rule with stem `devel'.
         Trying implicit prerequisite `devel.o'.
         Trying pattern rule with stem `devel'.
         Trying implicit prerequisite `devel.c'.

It finishes without invoking any child process.

Unfortunately, Mac OS X does not ship the libc for static
link, so I'm not sure if the difference comes from libc or
kernel. Further investigation is needed.

Werner, should I file this issue to bugzilla?

Regards,
mpsuzuki