Re: [ft-devel] FreeType Amalgamation first draft

From: Vinnie
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType Amalgamation first draft
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:50:31 -0800 (PST)

>Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:54:00 -0800

>From: "Tom Bishop, Wenlin Institute" <address@hidden>

>It works! Awesome! Thank you Vinnie!

Glad to hear it!

>One question: my application normally includes ftoutln.h, for directly calling
>FT_Outline_Render(), etc. With FreeTypeAmalgam.h and FreeTypeAmalgam.c,
> I don't include ftoutln.h and I get:
>
>    warning: implicit declaration of function ?FT_Outline_Render?
>
>In spite of the warning, it seems to compile and run correctly.

From studying the code and your use-case now I see that there are some
header files which are part of FreeType that must be included manually
in order to get functionality (such as ftoutln.h).

You are right not to include ftoutln.h when using the amalgamation - that
file doesn't exist!

This is fixed by adding all of these "optional" headers into
FreeTypeAmalgamTemplate.h before running the amalgamation tool.
I added ftoutlin.h and updated the amalgamation in the Google Code repo,
give it a whirl if you would like:

http://code.google.com/p/amalgamate/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FFreeType

If anyone can help me build a comprehensive list of these optional headers
I can go ahead and add them to the amalgamation.

Please note this is just a first iteration. One of my users is already bringing
up an issue, that it would be nice to have some additional conditional
compilation directives in the amalgamation itself to control which modules
are available. The amalgamation would still have "all the code" but the separate
"FreeTypeConfig.h" could turn parts off (to make the resulting binary smaller).

Thanks