Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:11:12 +0100 (CET)

>>> With patch it is better now, see the attached image.
>>
>> You must not use ftview to test whether glyphs are correctly
>> joined!  This programs inserts an additional pixel horizontally
>> between each glyph.  For simple stuff, use ftstring.  For complex
>> shaping, you need a demo program from, say, Pango.
>
> I hope this comment does not reflect on my patch that is intended to
> remove excessive space between emboldened glyphs in ftview.

No, it reflects Pravin's `better'.  I just wanted to make sure that
people know that a one pixel space between adjacent glyphs is
expected, since ftview inserts this deliberately -- this demo program
often has to display zero-width, empty characters, and it is quite
useful to see a minimal movement of surrounding glyphs if you increase
or decrease the glyph index.