[ft-devel] TTfautohint issues with small counters

From: vern adams
Subject: [ft-devel] TTfautohint issues with small counters
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:07:35 +0100

Werner,

Testing with latest ttfautohint 0.8. There's still some issues with small
counters becoming blocked at specific pt sizes. This is not a complaint :) just
a reminder.
See screenshot   http://tinyurl.com/cnsd2eq
These issues are most problematic on old GDI cleartype rendering. Under
DirectWrite the situation is much better, see screenshot at
http://tinyurl.com/bmdj4vz

I have done a lot of testing, tweaking font outlines to resolve similar issues,
and conclude that many of these problems are caused by font-design, not
ttfautohint. e.g. when the gap between dot and stem in 'i' gets blocked, it's
bad font design and can easilly be corrected ;) . However with bolder designs
it's less simple to correct these problems. Is there likely to be a resolution
to this? I'm very happy to test any developments in this area.

-vern